"From the Garden to the City" - A Patristic Symposium Engaging with the Early Church Fathers in the Contemporary World
With the blessing of His Holiness Pope Tawadros II, St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church of Washington, DC in partnership with St. Cyril of Alexandria Orthodox Christian Society is pleased to announce its 2nd Patristic Symposium entitled "From the Garden to the City." The Symposium will focus on the Orthodox frame of mind in addressing contemporary challenges through the eyes of the Early Church Fathers. Lectures will be delivered by a diverse group of theologians followed by an open panel discussion. It will take place from July 17-19 at St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church.
COST AND REGISTRATION
The early bird cost to participate in the Symposium is $100.00 for the entire weekend. The cost includes a meal on Friday night, breakfast and lunch on Saturday and lunch on Sunday. The price will increase after the early registration period.
In order to register, click on the link below (LINK COMING SOON).
You must be at least 19 years old to register. For inquiries to exceptions about the age requirement you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** TENTATIVE PROGRAM
Friday, September 5: 7:00pm-10:00pm, St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church
Saturday, September 6: 8:30am-4:00pm, St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church
Sunday, September 7: 9:00am-3:00pm, St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church
** Topics and speakers may be subject to change:
The Blueprint of the Church
Church, Eucharist, Mission
Church and Culture
Church and Gender
The Two Hands of the Church: Clergy & Laity
Church Between Reality & Idealism
The Eschatological Church
Open Panel Discussion
Speakers: Fr. Mark Aziz, Fr. Seraphin El Baramosy, Fr. Michael Sorial, Donna Rizk, Mike Wingert, Emmanuel Gergis.
All participants are responsible for making their own arrangements. There are several hotels with a few minutes of St. Mark's.
Cancellations before June 30 will receive a full refund. Any cancellations after June 30 will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. There will be no refunds on or after July 10. For refunds please contact email@example.com.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- Are accommodations included in the cost? No, accommodations are not included in the cost. Each participant is responsible for their own accommodations.
- Can I walk in and attend or do I need to register? As of now, there will be no walk-in attendees allowed; everyone must register for the Symposium.
- Can I receive academic credit with St. Cyril Society? Yes, academic credit can be earned with more details on how to receive credit being provided at the Symposium.
- Can I pay for or attend only part of the Symposium? No, there are no partial registrations. You must pay the full registration fee of $100.00.
- Can my children attend with me? No children will be allowed at the Symposium and you must be at least 19 years old to register and participate in the Symposium.
- Can I register and pay for the Symposium when I arrive? No, there will be no walk-in signups or registrants as of now. You should sign up and pay for the Symposium beforehand in order to guarantee a spot. Space is limited.
For any other questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.